If you have been injured in a bicycle accident in Washington or Oregon, you may find yourself facing many medical bills and expenses which you can't afford to pay. In this situation, a personal injury case may be able, ultimately, to compensate you for your injuries and help with some of the expenses which you are saddled with. The attorneys at Schauermann Thayer Jacobs Staples and Edwards PS can help you recover the compensation you deserve.
Why are Bicycle Accidents so Dangerous?
While any accident can cause serious injury, bicycle accidents can be particularly dangerous because of the exposure which a cyclist faces while on the road. If you are hit by a car while on your bike, there isn't much to protect you from injuries aside from a helmet and possibly protective clothing. A bicycle is no match for a vehicle in an accident, even with a helmet. Cyclists can face catastrophic injuries following an accident, including:
- Broken bones from colliding with a vehicle at high speeds;
- Road rash from skidding across the pavement after falling from the bicycle;
- Spinal injuries which can cause temporary or permanent paralysis; and,
- Head injuries which can lead to permanent brain damage.
What Damages Can I Recover?
If you have been injured while riding your bike, you may be able to recover compensation to pay for:
- Medical expenses such as inpatient hospital bills, emergency room visits, and surgical bills;
- Costs of medical equipment such as a walker, crutches, or a wheelchair;
- Costs of rehabilitation and physical therapy;
- Long-term care if your accident left you permanently injured;
- Lost wages if you had to miss work because of your injuries;
- Lost earning capacity if your accident has left you permanently disabled and unable to work;
- Physical pain and suffering which you experienced during and after your accident; and,
- Mental anguish which you experienced as a result of your accident, such as depression, insomnia, or anxiety.
In limited cases, and only in Oregon (not in Washington), you may be entitled to punitive damages from the person who caused your accident. Punitive damages can be awarded when a person's actions were particularly egregious. Rather than trying to compensate you for something you have lost because of your accident, punitive damages are meant to punish the person who caused your injuries and deter similar conduct in the future.
Were You Injured on Your Bicycle? We Can Help.
If you are suffering the aftermath of a bicycle accident which was caused by someone's negligence or recklessness, the attorneys at the Vancouver, Washington, law office of Schauermann Thayer Staples Jacobs and Edwards PS are here to help you seek the justice you deserve. Don't take on pursuing a personal injury case alone. These cases can be extremely complex and there are critical time deadlines which must be met. To speak with an attorney about your case today, call (360) 695-4244 or fill out an online case evaluation form today. We're here to help you.