On a warm summer day, you may be able to take advantages of the lakes, rivers, and bays here in the Pacific Northwest. Whether you are lounging on a pontoon boat or whipping through the surf on a jet ski, boating is a great way to spend a warm summer day. However, if you have been injured in a boating accident, you know how quickly an afternoon of fun can turn upside down. You don't have to face the mounting medical bills of your injuries alone--you may be entitled to compensation for injuries suffered in your accident. The personal injury attorneys at Schauermann Thayer Jacobs Staples & Edwards are here to help you every step of the way.
What are Common Causes of Boating Accidents?
Boating accidents often occur due to the negligence of a boat driver, but can also include:
- Operating a boat while distracted or drunk;
- Operating a boat without the necessary experience;
- Negligent boat passengers;
- Colliding with an obstacle in the water;
- Faulty boating equipment; or,
- Boating in unsafe weather conditions.
What Damages Can I Recover After a Boating Accident?
If you have been injured in an accident involving a boat, jet ski, or some other form of watercraft, you may be entitled to receive damages to cover the following:
- Hospital bills from overnight stays and surgical treatment;
- Costs of medication and medical equipment such as a walker or wheelchair;
- Rehabilitative therapy;
- Long-term care if your accident was particularly severe;
- Loss of income from being unable to go to work due to your injuries;
- Loss of earning capacity if you are left severely disabled to the point where you are permanently unable to return to work;
- Physical pain which you suffered as a result of your accident; and,
- Emotional stress which you endured after your accident, such as depression, anxiety, or an inability to sleep.
In some instances, in the state of Oregon (but not Washington), if an individual's actions which led to your accident were particularly reprehensible, you may be entitled to additional compensation in the form of punitive damages. Punitive damages are not meant to compensate you for your injuries, but are instead intended to punish an individual for his or her wrongdoings and ensure that such actions do not occur in the future.
Injured in a Boating Accident? Call Us Today
While boating can be a relaxing way to spend your weekend, boating accidents can turn a fun adventure into a terrifying experience. If you have been injured in a boating accident in Washington or Oregon, then you need a team of experienced attorneys on your side to help you fight for justice. Schauermann Thayer Jacobs Staples & Edwards PS is here to provide the help you need. Give us a call at (360)-695-4244 or fill out an online case evaluation form to take the next step toward obtaining the compensation to which you are entitled.